Well, here it is Monday morning, and like many of you, I am staring at a mountain of laundry. I thought I'd share some of my laundry tips with you, Royal Ranch style of course! We are on a private well, which is very cold water and use propane to heat our water, so you may or may not deal with some of the same issues as we have in the mountains. I hope that you can use some of my tips no matter where you live, they are green ideas that will save you a little money while you're at it!
- I start by reusing a milk jug, I cut off the top just large enough to dump your powdered detergent into it; as we know most eco-friendly detergents are powders,plus you get more loads per container,saving on packaging.
- Instead of using too much hot water to dissolve the powder, let the water run into your washer (this way you are not wasting water down the drain) until it is hot, and add enough to dissolve soap while shaking the jug. You can switch back to your preferred temperature setting and dump your "liquid" detergent in and proceed loading your clothes.
- Another great tip is to use vinegar. It is wonderful at removing smells and even works as a fabric softener, it may take up to a cup to achieve the softness results that you are looking for.
- When the load is done with it's cycle, before you toss those soaking clothes into the dryer, run them through the spin cycle again. This saves dramatically on dry time, which in turn saves money on your bills and wear and tear (and rust) on your dryer!
- If you use dryer sheets, tear them in half (Thanks for this one, Mom). You will still get the desired effect for half the price and half the packaging.
- Try to fold clothes directly out of dryer, but if not and they get wrinkled, toss in a clean damp cloth and run for about 10-15 minutes and clothes should be wrinkle free!
Today's pic has nothing to do with laundry, but gives you something pretty to look at while you fold! Have a miracle of a day!