Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day

On this very busy first weekend of the summer, I hope each and every one of you can take a quick minute to thank a veteran.  If you do not know one, pop by any local gas station or grocery store and they are out in full force handing out their beautiful poppy's and asking for donations.  I know this must be the case just about everywhere, because they are even at my local Loaf N Jug here in Bailey, thankfully.  By the way, I have always had this question myself, so I thought I'd clear it up.  Anyone who has served in our military services for more than 180 days (outside of basic training) is considered a veteran; there are also combat, or war time  veterans.
In honor of this Memorial Day, we got our sign up again!  Well, kind of.  To me, we got the most important part up in time for this all American holiday.  This sign is a very historical piece of this ranch and was blown down this last winter in one of the extreme wind storms that we had.  Over a decade ago when we bought this ranch, we were told that this sign is even used as an aerial survey land marker, it is that historical.  With the ground frozen, and the winds having continued to roar down the valley, we have not had an opportunity to fix it.

As you can see, we still have the cross members to replace, but we will use the same interior signs that Charlie Royal made all those years ago.  We have made minor changes to them, like painting them, and turning one around so that it does not advertise cabin sites for sale, but it still is the same sign he hand crafted.  Keeping the historical value of our ranch is very important to both of us.
I have missed my flag terribly.  Not only do we fly it on holidays, but just about everyday, which I have found since it has been gone, that I use it as a weather vane somewhat as well; my neighbors have commented about the very same thing.  I also would have flown the flag at half staff when we lost my cousin Joe recently.  I have only lowered my flag on very rare occasions, but that would have been one of them.

So, while you are hopefully spending a wondrous day barbecuing with family and friends today, don't forget to fly your flag proudly.  And by all means, thank a veteran, because if it weren't for them, you'd be having a much different kind of day.  Remember, America is "The home of the free, because of the brave."

2 comments:

maya said...

your blog is really well set out and this post about memorial day is really quite touching.
as an australian, we have our own day to honour the veterans and its important for us all to remember that these days are not just a day off, they are a day to thank the people that fought for our countries.

check out my blog: http://bookbloggingteenager.blogspot.com

lfhpueblo said...

We fly both the American and Marine Corps flag both day and night. With lights shining on it at night. We do have to spend money replacing our flags every couple of months because these Colorado Winds are hard on them, anyways where we live they are.
We put new ones up on the 30th, so they looked nice for Memorial Day.
On my husbands side of the family there are lots of people to thank for serving. On my side of the family I remembered the pictures of my Dad. He served in Korea. My brother was in the Army. My uncles were both in the Navy.
My step-son is now serving in the Navy, though he was talking about transferring over to the Marines.
I'm glad for each man and woman who has served to keep our country free.