Thursday, April 29, 2010

Stress and Life

My neighbor, Royal Ram
Okay people, I have a confession to make.  I have been suffering from a writers block,  Odd, that has never happened before.  But, I come by it honestly.  My rabbit is very sick, I think she is dying.  My sister has been waiting for some very serious test results and we finally got some good news yesterday.  I actually started my post for Tuesday, which would have been my cross post for this blog and for GreenSpot-On, but it was just not flowing the way I wanted, so I ended up posting a recycling post from here at GSO and leaving you all in the dust instead.  I know, I know, shame on me.
So, last night I get home from my weekly conference call (which entails sitting on the side of the road for an hour and a half for a cell signal so I don't pay long distance here at the house) and Tom tells me to sit down, I had no idea how wound up I had been until that point.  When he handed me the package that said Royal Ranch Publishing on it I literally quit breathing; my book was here.  I had not realized how stressed I was that it would not be right, or that it would look homemade or "hillbilly", as I told Tom.  It looks really great and very much exceeds my expectations!
With a few minor corrections and adjustments,  that hopefully will be worked out today, my book will go to print!  WOW!!!  The funny thing was that seeing my book kind of broke free all of the stress of the last week, the stress that I hadn't even realized I was experiencing.  I took one look at that book and started sobbing.  I was so happy about the book, and relieved about my sister, and so sad about that damn rabbit.  God, what a mess I was, I bet the kids thought I had lost my mind!
I'm still a mess today, but as you can see the block has mostly passed, but the rabbit has not.  She is not suffering at all or I would take her in.  She is almost twice the age rabbits normally live to be and is a very tough old girl.  I have spent my days making her comfortable and feeding her all of her favorite foods every few hours, which is how I know she is not suffering because she is still eating and drinking.  She is with her beloved, Rusty, and that is all that counts in my book, so I am doing the best I can.  Who knows, she may surprise us all and come out of this.
I must say, this has been one crazy week.  I know I'm supposed to be a tough rancher, and that I have been rescuing animals for years.  I should be used to this by now, but if I was, would I be any good at what I do?  No.  So I shed a few tears, endure a little stress and hopefully write one hell of a childrens book from my experiences. 

2 comments:

lfhpueblo said...

I'm glad you have had some better news about your sister. I'm glad you're book came and you will have the corrections made so you can get it to print. I hope your rabbit is better, but if the bunny doesn't come out of it and passes on you have my sympathy. I think it's just as hard to lose an animal as a person for a time, though I do think we get over the deep grief a bit faster. I think we realize it was an animal and not a human and that they normally have shorter lives than people, so I think that helps us some. I cried each time growing up that one of our cats died, and I cried a couple years back when my little Lili dog ended up dying from a black widow spider bite. I mean she put up a good fight for a couple of weeks, but even the meds didn't help her little liver recover from the toxic effects of that bite. I still have periods of time where I miss her alot, but I don't cry about it anymore.
I know you'll write a great childrens book from your experiences with all your animals because you write a great blog.
Good luck.

Daisy said...

Hugs to you. This is a lot to handle! Hugs to your rabbit, too; it's so hard to let them go.