Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Royal Ranch's View on Hunting


I realized that not very many people are gun toting hillbillies like we are here at The Royal Ranch. As a matter of fact, it might seem odd to some people that we spend our lives rescuing animals and sharing our love of this wonderful country and the animals that live within it, and at the same time support hunting. In my opinion hunting helps maintain the enjoyable life we are blessed to live.

Hunting brings huge money into any economy that will allow it. Hunters spend A LOT of money, with their tags, their equipment and guides, lodging, food, alcohol and daily necessities like a coffee in the morning at Loaf-N-Jug, they are constantly pumping money into our economy. Hunting season for The Royal Ranch alone brings in quite a bit of revenue, and we are very inexpensive compared to most hunting outfitters.

It is also very difficult for me, being in such a rural area, but with no farms nearby, to get meat that has no junk (antibiotics, hormones, etc.) in it, unless I want to pay a premium price. Game meat is a very healthy alternative to those of us that are meat eaters. It is much lower in fat than most red meats, and if cooked and cared for properly does not have a strong "gamey" taste. I know many families that are surviving on game meat due to this insufferable economy.

Hunting helps control herd population as well, which to me is one of the main reasons to support hunting. In areas where hunting is not allowed, elk and deer herd populations reach unhealthy numbers now that humans have removed most of their natural predators. Too much inbreeding leads to inferior animals, thus the decline of genetic make-up in some of our most wondrous creatures. Over crowding can contribute to Chronic Wasting Disease and is very hard on the terrain in which the elk or deer herd lives in. This negative effect trickles all the way down to innocent fish in the creeks and even insect population; many of which are essential to a healthy ecosystem.

I am by no means trying to sway your (or anyone else's for that matter) opinion in one way or another. I am simply defending my stand on hunting and explaining how such a huge animal lover is also a supporter of legal hunting. For now, it is the best, and in my opinion, the only way of helping Mother Nature with her very difficult job!

2 comments:

Over Coffee - the green edition said...

Thanks for sharing your point of view Judy. As with everything,there is no black and white, right or wrong, just many shades of grey. To me, hunting for food is different than hunting for sport. I don't think that I could personally hunt but many of my family members do. Like you said, for some, it is a way of life.

Tiffany said...

Thanks for this Judy! I think it is good for earth-loving folks like us to voice an unpopular viewpoint - hunting doesn't have to oppose an ecofriendly lifestyle. Having never even touched a gun in my life, I know without a doubt, I could never pull the trigger myself to take the life of an animal. But until I'm ready to stop eating meat, I have to realize that someone has to. And the bottom line is that no method of raising livestock is more humane than allowing the animals to live natural and free lives, the way they were meant to. And, as far as natural resource management goes, you don't have any of the land and water use problems associated with beef. Natural game is a no-brainer for me!

So... can you hook me up? (-;